June 7, 2019 6:44 am
This flavourful, juicy Braised Pork Belly is perfect for any meal that’s a special occasion.
1kg Lynca Meats pork belly
6 cups vegetable stock
2 large carrots, cubed
1 onion, sliced
1 celery stick, chopped
1 leek, chopped
100ml soy sauce
2 sprigs thyme
2 tbsp coarse salt
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp lemon oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lay the belly fat side up, score through the fat, rub in the coarse salt and set aside.
- In a large pan, fry onions, celery, leeks, carrots, garlic and herbs on high heat.
- Add the vegetable stock and soy sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add the lemon oil and lie the belly fat side down.
- Render the fat slowly for about 10 minutes, until it becomes hard and crispy.
- Remove the belly and lie it on a baking tray, fat side up.
- Add the braising liquid with the vegetables and herbs to the baking tray and roast in the oven for 1 hour.